Thursday, February 17, 2022

Brainstorming First Idea

How Do I be Creative?

The hardest part of this project has to be coming up with an idea. I know we've only started this last week, but I can't imagine it being more mentally blocking than this. There are so many routes I can take and I need to pick the best one for me, but then again I can't even see all of the routes that are available to me, aka, I haven't thought of them yet.

Prospective Idea #1

    Ok, this might be the cheesiest thing ever, but that's why it's a prospective idea. Following the coming of age theme, my most put-together idea is the death of a family member or a loved one, or just any sad "loss" such as a breakup. The idea is that the character is moping in their room then in the end, they decide to get it together and move on. Bam. Coming of age. 

    Certain scenes that I vividly imagine in my brain are, for example, the ending scene would be the character opening the blinds and it would be a backlit type of lighting. I put a picture to the right that VERY roughly shows the idea I'm going for. Obviously, it would not be a child and my windows are not that big, but you get the picture.

    Another scene would be where the credits are, it would probably show just signs of a very dirty and unkempt room. For example, dirty clothes on the floor (pictured left), papers on desks, and a messy bed, little details like that can show the outcomes of losing something important to you. Then, when the character decides to get back on track, they would clean up the same things shown from the credits, and it will all tie back together.


Pros and Cons of This Idea 

    Nothing is all good and nothing is all bad. With that in mind, let's review the pros and cons of this first idea that I have.

Pros: 
    - I can already envision it in my head and it's the first idea that's kinda stuck
    - Production should be simpler because it'll just be me starring in it
    - I can utilize a lot of techniques within this, color schemes, shots/angles. etc
Cons:
    - An overused idea
    - The music I really wanted to use for it is copyrighted
    - This idea overall is kinda sad

Copyright

    As I mentioned above, copyrighted music. When I was logistically thinking about this idea, the first song that came into my head was Mia and Sebastian's Theme from the movie LaLa Land. It is a beautiful classical piece of music that I think perfectly encapsulates what I am going for. Since it is also a piece from a movie, I am not sure if that impacts anything to do with getting permission, but we can cross that bridge if I get there.

Citations

Mia & Sebastian’s Theme. (2018, July 28). YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwIyb6M6Aks&ab_channel=JustinHurwitz-Topic

K. (2020, September 22). 8 Common Cliches of Coming-of-Age Stories. Kingdom Pen. https://kingdompen.org/8-common-cliches-of-coming-of-age-stories/

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR + Thank You

    The CCR is officially exported and done.      Presenting, my Creative Critical Reflection .     If that link doesn't work, use this ...